Why is AUSkey being decommissioned?
AUSkey has not kept pace with changes in technology and does not meet the future needs of most businesses. AUSkey is:
- not supported on mobile devices
- not compatible with all internet browsers
- difficult to setup and maintain
- is restricted to online services and authorisations do not carry across channels (that is, cannot be used to verify with the ATO by phone)
- unable to provide a password reset functionality, forcing users to re-register when a password is forgotten
- difficult for users who manage multiple AUSkeys.
- reaching end of life in March 2020.
What will replace AUSkey?
The ATO is building:
- myGovID: A way to prove who you are. You will be able to authenticate and access online services using myGovID.
- Relationship Authorisation Manager (RAM): Whole of government relationship and authorisation manager. RAM lets you control who can act on behalf of your practice across eligible government services.
- A new Machine to Machine (M2M) authentication solution to support existing M2M arrangements – replacing device AUSkey.
- Combined, these solutions will replace AUSkey.
- ATO is also building a SAML service (Business Authentication Manager) to enable agencies to on-board with minimal impact.
For more information or if you have questions, email DPO@ato.gov.au.