Why is AUSkey being decommissioned?
AUSkey has not kept pace with changes in technology and does not meet the future needs of most businesses. It is:
- not supported on mobile devices
- not compatible with all internet browsers
- difficult to setup and maintain
- restricted to online services and authorisations and cannot be used to verify with the ATO by phone
- difficult for users who manage multiple AUSkeys.
What will replace AUSkey?
At 11.59pm AEDT on Friday 27 March 2020, AUSkey (including Device AUSkey) will be replaced by new authentication and authorisation services to allow you to access government online services. We are building the following services to replace AUSkey:
- myGovID is the Australian Government’s digital identity provider and a new way to prove who you are online. You will be able to authenticate and access online services using myGovID.
- Relationship Authorisation Manager (RAM) is a new Australian Government authorisation service that allows you to manage your business authorisations online and in the one place.
- Machine credentials a new Machine to Machine (M2M) solution is being developed to replace the use of Device AUSkey in software.
For more information or if you have questions, email DPO@ato.gov.au.