Original Published Date:
The Payroll Event 0003 2018 package (PAYEVNT.0003 2018) provides technical implementation details to support the Single Touch Payroll, payroll reporting: Business implementation guide (STP BIG).
New validation rule
We are continuing to work to resolve issues occurring in production around 'stuck messages' (the PAYEVNT or PAYEVNTEMP record stops processing and is not posted in our back end systems).
As part of this work, we have found that the Other Allowances description (free text field) does not have a validation rule in place to stop illegal characters being used. This can result in failed PAYEVNT messages.
To address this, PAYEVNT.0003 2018 will be updated with the following validation rule for both Submit and Update actions:
- Affected element: PAYEVNTEMP8 – Other Allowance Type
- Rule ID VR.ATO.PAYEVNTEMP.000187
- Message code: CMN.ATO.PAYEVNTEMP.000183
- Rule description: A text character must be one of the following: A to Z a to z 0 to 9 ! @ $ % & * ( ) - = [ ] ; : ' " , . ? / or a space character
- Message short description: Other Allowance Type contains invalid text
- Message long description: A text character must be one of the following: A to Z a to z 0 to 9 ! @ $ % & * ( ) - = [ ] ; : ' " , . ? / or a space character
We are working towards the following release schedule for this change:
- 7 March 2019 – artefacts to become available
- 7 March 2019 – release changes into EVTE
- 16 March 2019 – release changes into production
We have also found that some software is not escaping the valid characters when converting to XML, resulting in validation and schema errors. To ensure your software is correctly escaped, check it converts the ampersand and adds the necessary special characters.
Contact DPO@ato.gov.au if you have questions or feedback.