This page provides links and information for software developers about the new government grants and payments reporting measure.
- Consultation (meetings, seminars, workshops)
- Feedback and Questions
- Links and documents
- Contact information
The government grants and payments reporting measure commenced on 1 July 2017. The system requires federal, state, territory and local government entities to report to us the total payments they make to businesses for services each year. Federal, state and territory government entities are also required to report the grants they pay to people and organisations with an ABN.
The first annual report will be due by 28 August 2018, for the 2017-18 financial year.
The government grants and payments reporting measure has now commenced.
13 December 2016
File transfer test facility - Taxable payments reporting for government entities.
The file transfer test facility is now available for software developers to check that their products comply with the Electronic reporting specification, Taxable payments annual report version 2.0.0.
To register and access the test facility, complete the File transfer test facility registration form.
From 1 July 2017, government entities need to collect information for the Taxable payments annual report.
More information about reporting of government grants and payments is here.
If you have any questions please email SIPO.
3 August 2016
The draft Standard Business Reporting (SBR) message implementation guide (MIG) version TPAR.0002 2017 has been removed from the SBR website. This is due to feedback provided during consultation with government entities surrounding the use of an SBR format for this annual report. If you are still interested in delivering this version in SBR, contact SIPO.
Reporting of government grants and payments has been incorporated in the flat file format and the specification can be found here. Files generated using this specification must be lodged via the file transfer facility in the ATO portals.
11 April 2016
The final electronic reporting specification has been published.
4 February 2016
The final draft Standard Business Reporting message implementation guide (MIG) Version TPAR.0002 2017 package has been published for feedback. Software developers are encouraged to provide feedback on this final draft by 15 February to SIPO@ato.gov.au.
14 December 2015
The law for this reporting measure has been enacted. You can read the Act on ComLaw. A final draft reporting specification has been released for feedback. This final draft specification is to be used in the development of software for the electronic lodgment of the Taxable payments annual report for the 2017 and subsequent financial years.
15 October 2015
The bill for the reporting measure has been introduced to Parliament and is available on the Parliament of Australia website.
13 July 2015
A draft reporting specification (DOCX, 291kB) has been released for feedback. Treasury has also released draft legislation and explanatory memorandum for public comment. We have developed a discussion guide to provide more detail on how it intends to implement the measure. Any feedback on the draft reporting specification and message implementation guide send to SIPO@ato.gov.au
12 March 2015
A summary of outcomes and feedback from the first round of software developer consultation has been released.
11 March 2015
Expressions of interest requested for developers of grants management software.
- December – Software developers are invited to submit feedback on the final draft electronic reporting specification for the government grants and payments reporting measure. Developers can send feedback to email@example.com by COB 15 February 2016.
- July – Software developers are invited to submit feedback on the draft electronic reporting specification (DOCX, 291kB) and message implementation guide for the government grants and payments reporting measure. Developers can send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org by 14 August 2015.
- March – Video conference consultations with developers of grants management software: Outcomes Summary (minutes) (PDF, 166kB)
- February – Face to face consultations in Sydney, Melbourne and via video conference. Outcomes Summary (minutes) (PDF, 130kB)
- September – Presentation (PPT, 364kB) at the TPSD workshop in Canberra.
- Final Electronic reporting specification – Taxable payments annual report version 2.0.0
- Taxable payments reporting – Government entities: ato.gov.au/tparGov
- Subdivision 396-B of Schedule 1 to the Taxation Administration Act 1953
- Tax and Superannuation Laws Amendment (2015 Measures No. 5) Act 2015
- Tax and Superannuation Laws Amendment (2015 Measures No. 5) Bill 2015
- Treasury released draft exposure legislation and explanatory materials about this measure in July 2015. They are accessible on the Treasury website.
- Treasury released a discussion paper in February 2014 about this measure. It is accessible on the Treasury website.
Feedback can be sent to SIPO@ato.gov.au