Original Published Date:
The FINAL member contributions statement electronic reporting specification v10.1.1 (MCS) is now available.
A tracked version of the FINAL specification showing changes from the published current version 10.1.0 to FINAL version 10.1.1 as well as a clean version are available below. Version 10.1.1 applies from 1 July 2016 for lodgment of all MCS files including amendments for prior years.
Following consultation with industry regarding future changes to MCS reporting (Member information eXchange) we have ensured that only very minor changes have been introduced in version 10.1.1. There are no changes to the validation rules required for version 10.1.1.
The version number FMCSV010.1 in field SD08 that is currently accepted in the business portal will continue to be accepted. There is no change to this field for version 10.1.1.
There is only one minor wording change made to the final specification from the current draft version 10.1.1 published on 15 October 2015. This is to update the alert box in field 6.120 notional taxed contributions. It provides that where there is a successor fund transfer and grandfathering applies to the members notional taxed contributions in both the transferring and receiving funds, both parties to the transfer are to jointly contact the Super Client Relationship Team prior to the transfer. This is to avoid disadvantaging members and seek ATO advice concerning the way that annual grandfathering applies across the two funds party to the transfer. Successor fund transfers may require alteration to normal reporting patterns.
The other minor changes included in version 10.1.1 following industry consultation are:
- Update in sex field 6.69 code ‘U’ description to include description to align with Attorney General’s Departments guidelines for on the collection and use of sex and/or gender information in individual personal records.
- Updating SILU references to SIPO.
- Incorporating references to the ISAT protocol available on SIPO for Successor funds transfers
- Minor change to field 6.96 ‘Rollover requests from the member accepted’ to report ‘No’ where the member no longer has an interest in the fund and has a zero account balance.
- Update description in field 6.119 ‘All contributions received for the current year’ to expand existing description and support current BDE validation rules.
Enquiries and comments regarding this FINAL specification should be directed to the Software Industry Partnership Office at SIPO@ato.gov.au.
From late June 2015 only version 10.1.0 is currently accepted for lodgment of all MCS files including amendments for prior years. The final member contributions statement electronic reporting specification v10.1.0 (MCS ERS) is available below.
Attached below is the final version of the specification showing the changes from the current published version 10.0.0, to the final version 10.1.0. A clean version is also attached.
The main changes introduced in version 10.1.0 include:
- Updating the specification version to 10.1.0
- Changing the field type for the ‘Provider can accept super co-contributions and low income super contributions for member account’ field from optional to conditional. For the 2014-15 and subsequent years a valid value of ‘A’ (accepted) or ‘R’ (not accepted) must be reported. A valid value must also be reported when amending an MCS for 2002-2003 or later financial years.
- Expanding the ‘Rollover requests from member accepted’ field requirement for risk only accounts with no investment component.
- Minor update to draft wording for USI field definition to specify circumstances for members accounts in closed products or risk- only products with no investment component. A USI can be reported in the MCS which was not previously reported to the ATO for inclusion on the Fund Validation Register. ATO payments will not be made to these accounts.
- Updating the Member TFN field requirements to include that the member TFN reported must be a 9 digit TFN with no lead zeros.
- Incorporating the supplementary MCS instructions published in June 2014 for the defined benefit contributions field. These changes include requirements for the regulations made on 15 May 2014 for calculating and reporting defined benefit contributions.
Changes to MCS validation rules in the business portal which support the MCS v10.1.0 requirements include:
- The field ‘Provider can accept super co-contributions and low income super contributions for member account’ will only accept a valid value of A (accepted) or R (not accepted) to be reported for the 2003 and later years. The field cannot be blank filled.
- In the ‘Notional taxed contributions’ field, for the 2014 and later years the amount reported must be equal to or less than the amount reported in the ‘defined benefit contributions field’.
- In the field ‘All contributions received for the current year’, for the 2013 and later years the amount reported must be equal to or greater than the sum of the contribution fields excluding the ‘Notional taxed contributions’. Otherwise, an error message will occur. This supports existing rules in the current MCS specification.
Enquiries regarding this FINAL specification should be directed to the Software Industry Partnership Office at SIPO@ato.gov.au.
The MCS Protocol is available below. The Protocol has been designed to be used in conjunction with the MCS specification.
Reason for Amendment:
30 November 2015 – files added
- Member Contribution Statement (MCS) electronic reporting specification clean v10.1.1
- Member Contribution Statement (MCS) electronic reporting specification tracked v10.1.1
23 July 2015 - Updates in description and removed files
- Member Contribution Statement (MCS) electronic reporting specification clean v10.0.0
- Member Contribution Statement (MCS) electronic reporting specification tracked v10.0.0
27 February 2015 - Updated dot points under title: Changes to MCS validation rules in the business portal which support the MCS v10.1.0 requirements include
23 June 2014 - Added the MCS v10.0 supplementary Instructions for defined benefit funds
25 March 2014 - Added the Member contribution statement - supplier lodgment declaration and instructions