Out-of-Session Strategic Working Group (SWG) meeting held via webinar.
23 August 2022
At this meeting, the following items were discussed:
Modernisation of pay as you go instalments (PAYGI) automation measure
An update was provided from the technical feasibility discussions on the Modernisation of pay as you go instalments (PAYGI) automation measure, highlighting four main themes:
- Consistency with current PAYGI experience - DSPs showed preference for calculations to be consistent with the current process.
- Differences from current PAYGI experience - consideration will be given to the whole client experience.
- Design and build once - further design will be undertaken to ensure the solution is less complex than current variation methods.
- To approve or not approve the software that performs PAYGI software – there was discussion around the DSP experience and New Zealand’s approach for self-assessment/self-accreditation of software.
Enhancing the transparency of income tax exemptions
An overview of the Enhancing the transparency of income tax exemptions measure and new reporting requirements for the not-for-profit sector was provided.
From 1 July 2023, non-charitable not-for-profits with an active ABN will be required to lodge an annual self-review return to access an income tax exemption.
Consideration is being given to administrative design and pathways for lodgment. (Presentation materials are available on the SWG meeting page in Online Services for DSPs.)
GST ITC Apportionment Tool
To address the complexity associated with accurately apportioning GST in the ‘Build to rent’ segment, a GST ITC apportionment tool is being developed. An overview of the initial concept was provided, highlighting how the tool would make apportionment faster and simpler for the impacted client base. (Presentation materials are available on the SWG meeting page in Online Services for DSPs.)
- The DSP Early Engagement Strategy is available in Online services for DSPs.
- An Out-of-Session meeting will be held post budget to discuss possible DSP impacts.
Participation is available to those Digital service providers listed as SWG members for the 2022 year.
The secretariat of the Strategic working group can be contacted by email at DPO@ato.gov.au
No previous versions available.