The Contributions v2 release is an upgrade to the existing SuperStream Contributions capability. This initial release of Contributions in the SuperStream standard took place in mid-2013. This upgrade is principally to add Government payments and introduce new functionality that enables automated processing of amendments, and to incorporate refund design along with relevant guidance notes.
Efforts associated with the Business to Business aspects of the upgrade are to ensure that elements conform with the SuperStream standard, specifically the inclusion of Payment Reference Number (PRN) values in the Contribution Transaction Error Response (CTER). We acknowledge some funds have already implemented this functionality.
Key dates and industry readiness
The contribution standard v2.0 must be implemented by all Registrable Superannuation Entities (RSE) licensees as follows:
- Error response messaging for Business to Business (B2B) transactions by 31 August 2017.
- G2B contributions by 31 August 2017.
Decision made to proceed with full deployment of government contributions
In May 2017 we commenced our controlled business deployment verification (BDV) exercise, for government contributions.
As of 30 June, the following government contribution payments have gone through the BDV exercise:
- co-contributions remittance
- superannuation guarantee (SG) remittance
- superannuation holding account (SHA) remittance; and
- low income superannuation contributions (LISC) remittance.
A decision was made to continue with full deployment of government contributions in the standard due to the progress of remittance runs and the processing status undertaken to date as part of the BDV exercise.
The BDV exercise has:
- confirmed end-to-end receipt and processing of government contributions including low income superannuation contribution (LISC), co-contributions, superannuation holding account (SHA) and super guarantee (SG) payments and recovery processes
- confirmed existing services and transactions for industry and ATO were not affected by the government contribution release
- confirmed that issues experienced during the G2B USM rollovers release have been addressed for contributions payments, and
- provided assurance that moving to full production for government contribution payments will not introduce any new irritants or manual effort for ATO or industry.
The majority of the issues reported during BDV have been routine in nature and since been resolved. Two remaining issues are in the process of being resolved and when this occurs by mid-July, we finalise our reconciliation processes and confirm with industry that all seven government contributions payments and recovery processes are working in line with data and payment standards.
Further improvements in place
We'd like to assure Industry that there are further improvements and measures in place. This will help ensure the performance and volume issues we encountered in recent times for USM payments are resolved and implemented well before the peak periods for government contribution payments between September and December this year.
Contributions Implementation Working Group (CIWG) meetings will continue during this period to keep you updated.
Keep up to date with the latest news by visiting the SuperStream Readiness and Implementation page on Let’s Talk.
31 August conformance date for error response messaging
The due date to implement business to business (B2B) error response messaging is 31 August 2017. There are still a large number of funds that have yet to complete their error response message implementations. Funds are encouraged to keep us informed if their implementation plans change; however we'll also look to engage those funds over the coming month to confirm that original implementation plans are still on track.
Funds who have not implemented B2B error response messaging by 31 August must report this to APRA as a breach.
G2B industry testing and production cutover
All external vendor testing environment (EVTE) processes have been moved to an Amazon cloud solution
We have finalised the SuperStream contributions v2.0 fund testing schedule (PDF, 49KB). Some minor updates to this schedule are expected as funds progress through their implementation planning.
The schedule will be re-published on an ad-hoc basis, based on fund updates received. All updates to the schedule should be emailed to SuperStreamStandards@ato.gov.au.
The Contributions V2 testing and cutover guide (PDF, 254KB) has been developed. It describes the testing and production cutover processes that funds and/or their intermediaries need to undertake to prepare for and support implementation of contributions v2.0. Fund peer-to-peer testing with us started in late April 2017 and will continue until August 2017.
It is a fund’s decision to determine their readiness to cutover to production, considering that sufficient fund testing has been conducted to allow self-certification of production systems and operational processes. A Contributions G2B v2.0 Production readiness checklist (DOCX, 81.5KB) must be submitted to SuperStreamStandards@ato.gov.au on confirmation of your readiness.
A change to your FVS certification details will signal the fund/USI is ready to receive Government contributions in the Standard. Funds must not update the Fund Details Register for any USI that is not ready to cutover to production - once a USI has been updated to the GCON2.0-X certification, that USI will receive ALL Government contributions in the Standard.
There is a lead time of 10 business days to update the certification details on the Fund Validation Service before it becomes effective. Further details about how to update the Fund Validation Service can be found in the FVS user guide (PDF, 959kB).
Self-managed super funds
We are aware that a significant number of self-managed super fund (SMSF) message providers will not be ready for the contribution standard v2.0. As a result we will not be implementing G2B messages for SMSFs until the majority of SMSF message providers are ready.
Technical artefacts, checklists and guides
- Contributions G2B V2.0 Production readiness checklist (DOCX, 81.5KB)
- Contributions v2 testing and cutover guidance (PDF, 254KB)
- Member registration and contributions user guide v2.1 (Final) (PDF, 576KB)
- Contributions version 2.0 conformance testing guide (Final) (PDF, 343KB)
- Contributions test data (Final) (XLSX, 100KB)
- Contributions schematron (Final) (ZIP, 110KB)
- Contributions message samples (Final) (ZIP, 110KB)
- Contributions Message Implementation Guide v2.0 - schedule 4A (PDF, 668KB)
- Summary of changes for contributions Message Implementation Guide v2.0 and other schedules (PDF, 58KB)
- Contributions v2 cutover plan (PDF, 396KB)
Comments and feedback can be sent to SuperStreamStandards@ato.gov.au.